At the beginning of this year, I took the plunge that mom's all across America dread doing. I sold my SUV and bought a minivan. I was pregnant with Madelyn, and knew with 2 kids that a van was probably the best answer.
I know, I know... van's are so uncool. They're not sporty, they're not fast, they're just flat out not cool. But they are practicality on wheels. I absolutely LOVE my van. I love the power sliding doors. I love that it has stow-n-go seating! I love that it has a 6 disc CD changer so I can have ALL of our Go Fish CD's in there for Carsen!
When we were teaching Carsen his colors, we taught him that daddy's car is white. Then he asked what color mommy's van is... I taught him that it's just "mommy's cool van". Eventhough he knows all his colors, he still calls it my cool van. "Mommy, is it time to get in your cool van yet"? Yeah, that's right, My van is COOL!! :)
This van is also just a season in our life of having small children. Keith always swore that we wouldn't own one, but now admits that it's great for the kids. Once the youngest Kramer kid hits 5 or 6, then I'll probably switch to an SUV or something. But for now, this works great!
I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan, just like every other family that lives in our town. They only make so many colors, so when I drive by a van that looks just like mine, I always look at the driver, just for fun. As we pass by eachother, I always honk and wave and give them the thumbs up.
Ok, maybe not.
But today, I saw a van that matched mine. I got all excited to see if the driver was a young 'hip' mom like myself. Ummm, not so much... the driver of this van was probably in his 80's. *sigh*
It makes me feel better that a couple of my other friends have taken the plunge, too. It feels good to know I'm not alone. And it's good to know that I have cool friends with really cool tastes!!!
My dad has a secret Jeep wave that makes me laugh every time. Maybe it's time for you to invent the secret "Dodge Grand Caravan" wave.
ReplyDelete