Sunday, May 30, 2010

Parenting ain't always easy...

Whoever made up the old saying knew what they were talking about.

I have been a mother now for 3 years, 2 months, 29 days, 13 hours and 48 minutes. (give or take a few...) :)

It's funny how before you have kids, you think you know everything. Everything. I remember watching parents at Wal-Mart who's kids were having fits and tantrums and thinking "what's wrong with them? Don't they know how to parent?!"

Now I'm a mom. I know what those parents are going through. Please don't get me wrong... being a parent is one of the things in life that brings me the most joy and happiness... but it's one of the hardest jobs that I've ever had.

Carsen is 3. He loves to learn, is very loving and silly. But he's also very independant & strong willed. (what 3 year old isn't though??) Today was a rough day for Carsen... tonight, especially. He did NOT want to obey. Discipline after discipline, he just didn't care. He got all book priviledges taken away for the night. We got home, and he went right to bed. Keith put him to bed while I put Madelyn to bed, but then I went in to kiss Carsen good-night.

Here's the conversation we had:

Amy: Carsen, daddy is sad tonight
Carsen: Why?
A: Because you didn't obey him very well tonight.
C: But I told him I was sorry
A: I know you did... but his feelings are still hurt. It makes mommy and daddy very sad when you don't obey.
C: Oh no! Where are daddy's feelings? In his arm or his leg? Why do they hurt?

It's very hard to teach a 3 year old (or any child for that matter) why obeying is important. We need our kids to obey in the event of danger. (if they're running out in the middle of the road while a car is coming and we yell STOP, we need them to listen) We need them to obey to teach them respect. We need them to obey because children are SUPPOSED to obey their parents. (Ephesians 6:1)

I want my children to obey because they want to do what is right, not b/c they are afraid of a consequence if they don't. I want Carsen & Madelyn to have a true conviction in their heart to do the things they are supposed to. As much as I would 'love' to go to college with my kids, I doubt they will let me (wink wink).... so once they are out of the house, I want them to have a solid faith and deep convictions to live an honoring life... and one day, pass that along to their kids. Too many kids aren't taught the importance of love, respect and discipline. My parents instilled that into me, and I want my kids to value those things.

I'm still figuring out this whole parenting thing. It's a constant learning process.

Tonight I told Carsen he needed to pray and ask God to help him obey:

"Dear Jesus, thank you for this day. Thank you for all the things you give us. Please help me to obey tomorrow and to make daddy, mommy and You happy. I'm glad you're here with me. Amen."

Parenting ain't always easy... but I have a great team leader (Keith!) and 2 awesome kids that are also on Team Kramer. I'm so thankful for what God has given our family, and I pray that with His help, our kids will grow up to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment