Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I witnessed something horrible today...

I left work just after 5:00 today. There is construction on one of the roads near my work, so Hwy 60 is especially busy right now. I was behind a man in his car. We sat at the stop sign for what felt like forever, waiting for the cars to pass. He was trying to turn left.

As soon as he pulled out, I knew what was about to happen. He didn't see the motorcycle coming...

I can't get the vision out of my head tonight, seeing him hit that motorcycle, watching the motorcycle fly and the man bounce down the road. I immediately ran over to the man laying on the road, told him to lay still and was trying to keep him (and myself!) calm. (I had already yelled to other bystanders to call 911)He was able to give me the name of his wife and her work phone #, so we called her and told her to come immediately.

I can't help but wonder how this man is doing. The ambulance was going to bring him to the hospital, where there was a helicoptor waiting for him. I have no way of "checking up" on him tonight. There were some pools of blood on the road, some of which were coming from his head and others from his leg, which was obviously broken. It looked like he had a tennis ball sticking out of his head b/c it was so swollen.

I wonder how his family is. When they got there, the police would not allow them to go see their husband/father. They were hysterical. "All I want to do is go tell my husband that I'm here!!!". I told her I would go tell him... and I did. I hugged his wife, and told her that although her husband was bloody, in a neck brace and on a stretcher, that he was able to talk to us, so hopefully that was a good sign.

I'm also wondering how the man is who hit the motorcycle. While we were all standing there, I definately had compassion on him. He didn't mean to do this. It was a complete accident. I didn't say anything to him, though. I didn't want to be seen talking to the 'jerk who just hit the innocent guy on the motorcycle'. I wish I would have. I'm sure he feels just terrible tonight.

When the police got there (there were dozens of people standing around by now) he asked me if he had been wearing a helmet earlier. I told him no, but that he was wearing his sunglasses.

For those of you who don't know, it's not the law to wear a helmet. If you choose to not wear a helmet, you just have to wear sunglasses. What a stupid law. What on earth are sunglasses going to do for you?? I know... block the sun's rays, but they provide zero protection for you.

I don't even know this man's name, but please say a prayer for him and his family tonight. He was pretty beaten up, and I'm sure he has a long road of recovery ahead of him.

And please pray for the man who was in the vehicle. Although he may not be hurting physically tonight, I can't even begin to imagine how much he's hurting emotionally from what happened today.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Amy! How awful! God had you there in that moment for a reason--even if it was just for the opportunity to help and hug that man's wife. I'll pray tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro -- Witnessing something like that can have quite an effect! I am so glad you were there. Brett was an EMT for awhile, and still has VIVID memories of those moments where life truly hangs in the balance...sounds like you are really thinking about all the parties involved...so glad God gave you this opportunity! Even though I'm sure it was/is hard, I am certain it will be a blessing in the long run b/c I know you blessed those people so much with your calm faith-filled presence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is terrible! I will pray for them and you. It just makes me sick to my stomach, I have to turn there everyday. My daycare is 1 streat over from the Chamber and I must have just missed it because I left that area about 4:45.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That is so awful! I'm sorry you had to witness that, but it sounds like God used you to help with that man's wife. The fact that you were able to call her and hug her was surely a blessing to that family. I'll definitely be praying for these families!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a fantastic job being the 1st responder to this accident. I can only imagine how you are feeling, the emotions you are good though tonight after seeing and responding. I am praying for both families and you tonight!! Love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete