Wednesday, January 6, 2010

She's a mystery!!

We're home, finally.

Madelyn saw the pediatric ENT today at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. She had all her bloodwork done in Faribault yesterday, so we didn't have to deal with that today- which was nice. Her blood levels are good.

The ENT however is not quite sure what this growth is. The first thing she said to us though was that the chance of this being cancerous or life threatening is very slim. Thank goodness. That was the most important. She could obviously tell that we're worried and anxious, so she was kind enough to re-assure us of her opinion 3 times.

As far as what it is...

It could be many different things, but she has narrowed them down to 7 possibilities in her opinion, with the greatest being a cyst that she was actually born with. It has just grown with her, and is now filled up with something. Again, she isn't positive on this, but it's her "best opinion" at this point.

They're going to try to get us into the hospital tomorrow for a CT scan. This will hopefully confirm what the growth is, and what the growth is filled with. Depending on what this is and what's inside, it will either need to be drained, surgically removed, or possibly left alone. She said it could be a "birth-mark" type growth filled with blood... and if this is the case, there's no treatment... it will eventually go away on it's own (which could take 2-3 years).

I'm definately relieved tonight, but I still want answers. The ENT team is going to call tomorrow around 7 am to confirm her 11:30 CT scan for tomorrow, and the results take at least 4 hours. Hopefully we hear later tomorrow from the ENT's opinion of the scan, but it could be Friday.

If the CT scan isn't clear enough, they may need to do an MRI.

So Madelyn is going to be "fasting" tomorrow. I fed her some baby food tonight, but that's all she can have until after the CT scan. I can nurse her tomorrow at 7:00 am, but then she's done with that, too. They are hoping that she can lay still enough for a few minutes for the scan... but with a hungry girl, I am doubtful that will happen. They will probably have to sedate her and insert a breathing tube for the scan. *big sigh*

I'm going to be one emotional mama tomorrow, I believe. That's ok though... my eyelids are swollen and my eyes are already red. Might as well keep them that way, and then hopefully I can cry tears of joy when this is all over.

Thank you all so much for the e-mails and notes and calls. Encouragement has been tremendous. We're blessed to have so many important people in our life who care for us and love us. Thank you all for your support and kind words. We'll continue to keep you posted as we're able.

And just in case you were wondering... yes... I'd say today was a good day. :)

4 comments:

  1. Keep up the positive attitude, even though it's hard I'm sure. Maddie is in His hands, don't doubt that for one single second ;) Love you guys and we'll definitely be praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will continue to pray for the wait and pray they will get back to you quickly:) God is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be praying for you! It's all in the "plan"! And I believe for her it is a good one. Take Care Jori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know I have been secretly following ur blog...it is so fun to read what's going on with you and the fam. However, this wasn't fun to hear. I am praying for you guys and so concerned about little Maddie's progress. I'll keep reading.....
    Karen Christensen

    ReplyDelete