Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanzaa!!
This year, I am finding that more and more people are writing "Xmas". It drives me bonkers. I googled it, and here's what I found...
The abbreviation 'Xmas' for Christmas is of Greek origin. The word for Christ in Greek is Xristos. During the 16th century, Europeans began using the first initial of Christ's name, "X" in place of the word Christ in Christmas as a shorthand form of the word. Although the early Christians understood that X stood for Christ's name, later Christians who did not understand the Greek language mistook "Xmas" as a sign of disrespect.
Yes, I do take it as a sign of disrespect, actually.
CHRISTmas... Christ did so much for us, I firmly believe that He deserves HIS name to be left in there.
CHRISTmas... we're celebrating Jesus' birth... God's Son who DIED for us on the cross. Yes... HIS name deserves to be left in CHRISTMAS.
I respect the fact that there are many religions in the world, and also respect that there are others that choose to not embrace a religion. But I am a Christian. I celebrate Christmas. And whether it's politically correct or not, I'm going to say Merry Christmas. Because that's what I'm celebrating. CHRISTMAS.
Check out this awesome song by Go Fish.
Whatever you are celebrating this time of year, I hope it's happy.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
I agree totally! I can't stand xmas either
ReplyDelete