Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The last of many firsts

When I got my positive pregnancy test with this child, one of the first things that came to my mind was "assuming this pregnancy is healthy, I will prob never have another 'positive' test after this baby is born".

Keith and I always said we wanted 2 or 3 kids. After we had a boy and a girl, we were both tempted to be done. But there was a part of both of us that felt incomplete as a family... almost as if there was 1 person missing. I'm honored to say that the final family member is 12 weeks gestation, and will be here next summer. I can't wait to meet the last member of our family!

There are so many things to anticipate during pregnancy and with a newborn. I always feel movement very early, so am looking forward to that in the next couple of weeks. But I know that this will be the last time to feel the first movement. I know that when I hold our son/daughter for the first time, this will be the last time off seeing our little one for the first time. When he/she smiles/rolls over/laughs/walks/talks for the first time, I know it will be the last time for this first, for me as a mommy.

Keith and I are both looking forward to the next stage in life. We want to travel with our kids. We want to be able to do some of the fun things that are more difficult with a little one in tow. But at the same time, I'm starting to feel a bit sad knowing that this is my last pregnancy. This is my last baby. After this, our family is complete and we're only getting older. (and the kids will be gone before I know it!)   :*(

The 1st trimester of this pregnancy has been fairly easy. Very comparable to Madelyn's pregnancy, actually. With Carsen I was puking 5-6 times a day until I went on a prescription around 20 weeks. With this pregnancy, I have been nauseous in the morning and very tired, but nothing that wasn't bearable. In fact this time, I was thankful for the sickness... it was a sign of a strong, healthy pregnancy. But even on the hard days when I have my head in the toilet and feel so tired that I don't think I can keep my eyes open any longer, I am thankful that I have been given this opportunity to bear children. Amidst all the weight gain and heartburn and "shifting" of body parts, I truely love and enjoy being pregnant.

What a blessing.

3 comments:

  1. I remember feeling this way when I was pregnant with Tim. It was hard at first but as time goes on and you enjoy the kids over the years its all fun and games. However, the lasts never end, we are in the lasts of our senior year and I am finding myself feeling like you are feeling right now. I forgot I guess that there would be lasts later in life too! I just thank God for all the lasts I have experienced and look on to the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a book by Karen Kingsbury called "Let Me Hold You Longer" that is all about firsts and lasts- makes me cry when I read it thinking that it just goes SO fast!! But it also makes me hug Raegann a lot and cherish all the firsts and lasts with her (as it will with anymore kiddos that follow)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way with Tate's pregnancy. Although it was a miserable pregnancy (constant puking up until 13 weeks, hips so out of joint that I had to sleep in the recliner for the last several months, stomach sticking so far out that I could barely stand without falling on my face), I was still sad that it was my last pregnancy. So cherish every moment - even the pukey ones! :)

    ReplyDelete