Monday, June 7, 2010

I 'heart' doctors and medicine!!

Poor little Maddie came down with a fever on Saturday. She woke up from her nap very hot (103 plus). We've been trying to control it with medicine.
I took her to urgent care on Sunday, and they weren't overly concerned. They said maybe a virus, maybe teething... but her ears and everything else looked good. He said if she wasn't better by Wednesday to bring her back in.
Well, my motherly intuition kicked into full gear today, and I called the dr. They said I coud bring her in. 1 hour after her dose of advil, her temp was still a whopping 103. They decided to do some bloodwork on her. I'm talking about a blood DRAW... not a finger prick. Then they sent us home. When I got home, there was a message on our answering machine that told us to come back up immediately. *tears, tears, tears* I love being a woman. We went back up, and they told us her white blood cells were elevated. Something is wrong. They took another blood draw (but were ever so kind to send the lab down to US this time- very thoughtful) and took a urine sample via a catheter. The dr said she is fighting some type of a bacterial infection. It could be almost anything- blood, kidney, bladder, sinus, tonsils- we may never know. She decided to give Madelyn a shot of antibiotics. It must be some strong stuff... she said that 1 shot was equal to a 24 hour iv drip at the hospital.
Then we came home, and Madelyn took a 3 hour nap. I woke her up to feed her dinner and play a bit, hoping she would sleep some tonight!


Granted she had quite a bit of medicine today, but I was very happy to find her all sweaty when she woke up. Her fever had broke!!! This is a good sign. She was happy tonight, and even playing and laughing!
The dr is going to call tomorrow with the lab results. But regardless of the results, she was confident that Madelyn would be back to normal in no-time!
Madelyn and I went on a walk tonight- just the 2 of us. While we were walking I couldn't help but think of the verse This is the Day that the Lord has made. Let us REJOICE and be GLAD in it!

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear she was sick but glad she is feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, poor little girl! Glad she's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete