Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Week-end

This long week-end has been wonderful. We Keith got some things done around the house, we relaxed, and we spent some good quality time together as a partial family. Yes, a partial family. My parents went down to visit my sister and her family in Iowa for the week-end, 2 1/2 hours away. As much as our whole family would have LOVED to have gone, that's too far for comfort at this stage of the game for my 37 week pregnant self when my last labor was 5 hours from start to finish. But they agreed to bring Carsen along, which he was very excited about.

Being a 1 kid family for the week-end was strange. Madelyn is so different without her brother around. She isn't as competitive. She isn't as whiny. She's much more snuggly... in fact on Saturday morning she walked into our room and told Keith "Daddy, I snuggle you". Being that she's our 2nd child, we've never really had much alone time with her, so it was definately a treat to soak us up some good Maddie time. :) I don't think she minded the extra attention she got, either. Have I mentioned how much she is Daddy's Girl? It's adorable.

We started our week-end off right by having a mommy/daughter shopping date. The weather was perfect, as was my little girl. She happily rode in her stroller for 2 1/2 hours while we shopped. When we left a store she would say "bye-bye shopping". Then she would say "more shopping" as we entered the next store. A few times she would randomly say "I like shopping". I'm sure glad she does... because we'll be doing a lot of it during her growing up years... :)

Madelyn loved helping me bake some cinnamon coffee cake, and was my champ stirrer.




 Sunday night Madelyn was telling me that I had "petty toes". I asked her if she wanted pretty toes too. She said "Blue ones!". Unfortunately I don't keep blue toenail polish on hand, so she settled on pink. And tickled pink she was.

She was so giddy about her pink toes all night long. I could barely get her to sit still for a picture...
 Today we went to the annual Memorial Day Parade. When I asked her what her favorite thing was, she said "Horsies!!". There were a few spotted horses that she thought were cows, but whatever... she's not even 2 yet (but will be this Saturday!) so we'll let it slide.... :)
Keith and I used to spend at least part of Memorial Day with my Grandma & Grandpa Schuler. Last year we brought Grandpa Schuler to grandma's grave, and enjoyed lunch at A & W restaurant. This memorial day was difficult as they have both passed now, but we will always carry the tradition of visiting the cemetary on Memorial Day. It's crazy how much changes come in a year's short time.


The week-end was a blast. I'm sad to see it go. I had Madelyn tell her Daddy that she wanted to have earrings, but he didn't give in. He wants it to be a real decision made by her, so maybe in another year or 2.

As much as we enjoyed our "alone time" with Madelyn this week-end, 
I sure am a happy mama looking in the top bunk tonight and seeing my favorite little boy up there. :)


We've got a 2nd birthday to celebrate on Saturday and another birthday that is TBD for our other little girl.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment