I know, I know... my blog has NOT been getting much love these days. In fact, it's been pretty much flat out neglected. I have a good reason though.
We found out 2 weeks ago that my Grandma Schuler has stage 4 pancreatic cancer which has already spread to her liver. She's very sick, and last week hospice told us they were estimating that she has 6-8 weeks left to live.
2 weeks ago, my grandma could walk pretty well.
About a week ago, we brought a walker in for my grandma.
Today, she is in a wheelchair.
This is a very painful cancer which progresses very quickly. It's hard to watch her in so much pain.
My grandparents have been married for 60 years.
S.I.X.T.Y.
So needless to say, my grandpa isn't taking this very well.
He's also going downhill a lot quicker than any of us anticipated.
My mom makes about 4 trips over to their house a day in addition to working full time.
My mom is pretty much a saint.
(have I mentioned how lucky I am to have such an awesome mom??!!)
Our family is doing all we can to keep them in their home for the remainder of their life. It's defiantely taking a huge toll on us emotionally and physically, but it's worth it.
Last week-end my brother Brien came for a visit from Michigan to see our grandparents, along with my mom's 2 brothers from Colorado. (I'm super lucky to live in the same town as my grandparents, parents and sister- so we all see eachother on a daily basis)
It was a fun week-end with lots of memories.
Madelyn & Carsen with their Great Grandma & Grandpa.
I don't know if many of you know how talented of a family that I come from... I mean, check this out...
My brother Brien...
And if THAT weren't enough... check this out, too!!!!
My sister, Angie!!
Brien is an awesome guitar player. He gave Carsen a quick lesson while he was here, so now Carsen is really good, too...
Last Friday night we all sat in my grandparents' livingroom and sang songs while Brien played them on his guitar. My grandparents love hymns, so we just sang the evening away. It was so special.
I'm also so thankful for technology. Grandpa & grandma came over to our house so they could call my brother Brad (and his family) over in Israel via Skype. My brother is working on getting a visa in Israel (not a credit card visa... more of an approval from the government for their living there) and isn't allowed to leave the country during the process. This is the next best thing, though... they could see and hear eachother!
If you think of it, please say a prayer for my grandparents...
and the rest of my family.
Thank you friends, bloggy friends, and blog stalkers! ;)
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. You all will definitely be in my prayers. I wish I lived closer so I could help out in some other way too!
ReplyDeleteAmy-you need to take that picture off of here! You know the one I'm talking about!
ReplyDeleteAmy, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, and I will be praying for her. My Grandma Hazel passed away from pancreatic cancer, and lived with my parents until the end. I respected them so much for taking care of her. Your mom is a saint, too! Glad you could all enjoy each others company for the hymn sing. Your kids are adorable, by the way!
ReplyDeleteWhat sweet memories you were able to make! Praise God for His timing! Will be praying for you and your family during this time. If you need ANYTHING, let us know!
ReplyDelete