We've got 2 small kids. I'm very pregnant. Keith recently finished his Master's Degree and is studying for the CPA exam in a little over a week. Basically, we don't get out much. Rarely, actually. We happen to live right across the street from 2 of the world's best babysitters (my parents!) who seem to watch our kids all the time, but we still don't seem to get out just the 2 of us.
Well, we had a fun evening together on Friday night. It was just the 2 of us. Oddly enough, we didn't go anywhere special or do anything fun. We actually painted. Yup, painted.
Carsen has had his own room for his whole (4 years!) life. Madelyn lives across the hallway, but her little sister will be moving into her room in the near future. The 2 girls will eventually share a room, but not until baby #3 is a year or so. So, that means Maddie gets to move in with her big brother for the time being! (I think they will actually both love it). Carsen's room has been a light blue color, so I've been wanting to re-paint it for some time. This gave me the perfect 'excuse' to make it more gender neutral, but still fun. Here are a few pictures of his new room!
Most of the inspiration for the room came from our recent trip to Florida. While we were there, we visited Animal Kingdom and went on their safari. The 3 pictures hung on the wall are all from that safari, which Carsen loved! There is another bed that fits perfectly underneath Carsen's bunk, which is where his new roomie will be living sometime next week.
I know painting doesn't seem all that romantic, but it was nice to put the kids to bed, and have some alone time with my husband. There weren't any distractions of the television, computer or text books. It was just the 2 of us, and lots of paint. We talked. We laughed. We had a good time. However, as much fun as we had, I think I'll choose to go to a restaurant next time for some yummy food and something that doesn't involve work!
On a side note, does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to make this a smooth transition? We're not only merging their rooms, but we're transitioning Madelyn from a crib to a bed. I'm scared!!!! :)

Great idea for the room! I love the personal touch from your safari adventure! And I'm sure Carsen loves that too!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the transition... we got pretty lucky with Millie moving into Addie's room. She was about 22 months and was just so stinkin' excited about the new bunk bed that daddy built, that she was more than ready to move in. And we just let her know right away that she wasn't allowed to get out of her bed. Ever. Or a spanking would follow. So she never did. As far as Addie adjusting, we had told her from the beginning that someday Millie would move in and she was excited to have some company. It really helps them not to be scared of the dark since they have each other. I hope the transition goes as smoothly for you!
Sounds steamy and romantic:)
ReplyDelete