Madelyn & Easton (one of the boys I watch) were having a blast with the small curly slide. Another little boy came over and started picking on Madelyn & Easton. The first couple of times, I just brushed it off as "kids being kids". But I soon became very annoyed.
The mom of this little boy made me so angry. Her son was hitting, throwing rocks, and just being a stinker. She kept telling him to "stop", "be nice", "quit being so mean", "if you do that 1 more time we're going home". Finally after about 10 warnings of taking him home, she finally put him in his stroller to go home. He threw a fit. Not a little fit, but an all out temper tantrum.... but only for a few seconds. She quickly took him out of the stroller and told him he could have 1 more chance. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I was irate. Annoyed. Completely irritated. He immediately ran over to Madelyn and hit her, causing her to cry. Not because it hurt, but probably b/c she had enough of this annoying kid. Madelyn's mama had already had enough, too. I was right there, so I grabbed the 2 kids
I know that being a mom is hard. There are days when I can't wait until my kids' bedtime for some sanity. Discipline is especially hard... especially being consistant. This mom was teaching her child that it was 1- ok to be mean 2- not necessary to obey and 3- that her word wasn't truth. I'll admit, the boy was a brat... but it's not his fault.
I am still annoyed, just thinking about it. But today was a good reminder to me that even on the hard days and even on the days I'm really tired, consistancy is key. When I say I'm going to do something, I need to follow through. My kids may not like it now, but hopefully they'll thank me... in about 20 years.
Just hearing this story annoys me! And I agree, it's no wonder the boy is such a brat - he never gets any discipline. Totally a great reminder to stay consistent!
ReplyDeleteOh no! We had this same experience yesterday when we visited the Maple Grove Community Center... a little boy (older than Carter) had it out for him. Carter took the beating for a while and I finally said enough was enough. We left. Not sure how parents can allow their children to be like this. And trust me, Carter is no angel, it's a great reminder that being consistent is key!!!
ReplyDeletegood reminder. thanks for the story.
ReplyDeletetricia