He finally got there, and was prepping me for the epidural. They brought out the form for me to sign of all the scarey things that can happen from getting an epidural... you know, things like permanent paralysis or death. Little things. I cut them off while they were reading the form to me and said I didn't care. Show me where to sign. Because honestly, I thought I might die if I didn't get this epidural.
After the epidural I was to lie on my back, and they said it would kick in very fast. So I waited...
and waited...
and waited some more...
I felt a little tingly in my left side, but I was still feeling every pain from every contraction. They had me turn on my side. They tried a few things. After about 30 minutes with no relief, it was quite obvious. The epidural wasn't going to work.
I was devasted. I was scared. I was so completely exhausted. I still had a long ways to progress before getting to the pushing phase, and I had no idea how I was going to ever get there.
They said they could call the anestiologist back to give me another type of shot in my back, and that this was the last shot at anything. (any more drugs after this would have given me a spinal headache) They said this would numb the pain like an epidural does, however would only work for anywhere from 2-5 hours. I begged them to get him back here asap.
He returned with his big needle and his long form. Signed my life away once again, and waited for the drugs to kick. This time it worked... THANK YOU GOD. It had to be around 3 or 3:30 am by this time. The nurses encouraged me to sleep while I could, so I followed their orders.
At about 5:00 am I woke up with contractions again. I still wasn't at a 10. At this point I really felt as though maybe my body was telling me it wasn't going to be able to give birth naturally to this child. I started asking the nurses about c-sections. Then, I started BEGGING for them to give me one. They said that it wasn't an option for me at that point.
So I labored some more and puked like crazy but also tried my best to breath through my contractions. (although the pain was horrible, I never completely lost it. And I was definately not a screamer!) Finally at 6:30 am the nurses checked me (because I was feeling the urge to push... remember, no pain meds at this time) and I was finally a 10. It was go time. It was time to push.
Pushing was wonderful for me. It gave me relief through those horrible contractions. After 30 minutes of (most people say that this is quick!) pushing, Carsen Keith Kramer was born at 7:00 am weighing 7 lbs 4 oz. The pain went away immediately. I was so
Holding Carsen for the first time and hearing his first cry and seeing how perfect he looked made all the pain so worth it. Keith and I had a healthy baby boy- we were so completely over the moon.
Carsen is such a good boy. He has a spunky personality and a warm loving heart. He loves his sister and is very protective of her. He loves to learn. He can write the alphabet, count to 40 or so, sound out simple 3 letter words and loves simple math. He loves going to church and quite often talks about his love for Jesus. We still have the normal challenges that any parent with a 4 year old have, but it is such a delight and such an honor to call him our son.
Happy Birthday to my favorite little guy, Carsen, I love you SO much!! :)

So sweet, Amy! I love to hear birth stories ... thanks for sharing yours! It's amazing how time flies but moments like these stay with you forever. Happy birthday, Carsen!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday, Carsen! They're worth all the pain, aren't they! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Carsen!
ReplyDeleteLove Carsen's cheesy face smile! Happy birthday, big 4 year old!
ReplyDelete