Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A little time can do a lot.

Last night I went out with 4 of my close girlfriends. We went to a restaurant, sat outside and chatted for a few hours. It was wonderful. I came home feeling refreshed, giddy, and had a tummyache from laughing so hard.

The time away was nice. It's nice to get out and have a little "you" time. A few years ago I was really bad at it, but now I realize more than ever how important it is. A little time away makes me a better wife and mom. Sometimes I still feel guilty for leaving, though.

When I got home lastnight, both kids were sleeping in bed. I wanted to kiss them goodnight since I had missed our bedtime routine. Carsen is easy to kiss, being he's in a twin bed. I covered him up, rubbed his hair and leaned over and kissed him... a few times... :) Madelyn being in her crib, and me being only about 3 feet tall :) was a bit more challanging. I was determined to give her a goodnight kiss, so I swooped her up from her crib and snuggled her for a minute. Maddie isn't a snuggler at all, so it was fun to have her sleeping on me for a moment. It was great. She was snuggling her mama. I felt loved.

And then it happened...

She lifted her head up from my shoulder, pointed to her crib and signed "please". I thought to myself... "ok, she's tired, give her a kiss and put her back down". After I put her back down, she rolled over and started going back to sleep. I thought "I'll just stand here and rub her back for a minute". I rubbed her back, and she immediately rolled over, and started kicking and screaming. It was almost as if she were telling me "mommy, leave me alone. I'm tired. Let me go to sleep".

I know... I'm pathetic.

As silly as it sounds, Madelyn's actions were a good reminder that life goes on even the evenings that I'm not here. My kids have an awesome daddy who takes amazing care of them. They have a blast, even when I'm gone.

So I'm going to continue my monthly girlfriend nights with confidence that I'm making myself a better mom and wife because of it, and that my family is at home doing just fine... having a little bonding time of their own.
I love my family. And I love it that I have a husband who encourages me to go out and get a little "me" time.

I'm very blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I agree- girl time is a must for this mama! Chad likes it because it gets me rejuvenated and puts me in a better mood. :)

    Tate isn't a snuggler either. So I also like to sneak in some snuggle time when he's asleep and can't push me away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post Amy...Ive had a hard time leaving Addy. This is good to hear!

    ReplyDelete